We’ve been here three weeks!
We’ve been here three weeks.
We don’t exactly want bragging rights for that little fact.
The new bi-pap is lovely, as lovely as bi-pap machines can get. It’s actually quieter than the one Amanda has at home and used previously. Amanda loved the new mask that came with the new machine – it fit quite comfortably and she slept well. I am getting the hang of sleeping in a chair. (again – not a fact I am seeking bragging rights for)
Her morning PCO2 was 46 – just one digit away from ‘normal’ but I am sure it is close enough to please the doctor. Interesting that her PCO2 now has been in the 40’s the past three mornings – which is good. But last evening after being up and about all day her PCO2 climbed up to a 60. They also did a pulmonary function test yesterday on Amanda. The last one she had was 5 years ago after her last bout of pneumonia. Her lung capacity decreased only 5% from five years ago – so not much of a drop considering it took five years to drop that small amount. I think the doctor liked that – he actually was chatty and smiled a few times last night – I believe he was actually surprised (and pleased) at her progress.
So Amanda is up in her wheelchair, wearing a fresh hospital gown, looking light and fluffy following her morning hair wash (thanks mom), has partaken of her morning ham and cheese omelet, and mom has had her vending machine coffee. We are now stuck in a Cinderella limbo. Outside I can see my van parked in the parking lot. Like Cinderella’s carriage, it awaits to take her to where she wants to go – home. But Cinderella-Amanda can only go to the ball (home) IF the pulmonary doctor okays her discharge and gets all the paperwork and prescriptions and instructions written out, IF the medical supply place gets a tank of oxygen delivered to us at the hospital (She has been on 1.5L. of oxygen during the day but she has not even needed it today – doc said as long as she stays at 94 and above on her O2 sats – she can stay off but to be on the safe side they want a tank of oxygen with her for now), and IF the heart doctors don’t screw things up for us. The pulmonary doctor is still bothered that Amanda’s heart rate runs so high – the cardiac doctors were already consulted, did a heart ultrasound, and have said that her heart looks great – but pulmonary doctor would like to see it lowered. I think I will beg them to let us go home and promise to bring her back for them to scratch their heads about this on an out-patient basis. So, IF all the little things get taken care of – I don’t see why they can’t let us go. I know that we have some things to follow-up on but enough is enough.
So we sit and wait.